Press Release posted 7/14/12 – The Community Services Department and the Senior Community Commission would like to remind local seniors that during this time of hot weather that they should follow these tips to stay cool and safe.
- Slow down, avoid strenuous activity. Do not try to do too much on a hot day.
- Wear lightweight, loose-fitting, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect heat and sunlight and help maintain normal body temperature.
- Protect your face with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Drink plenty of water regularly and often, even if you do not feel thirsty. Attempt to stay hydrated.
- Stay indoors as much as possible. If you do not have air conditioning, stay on your lowest floor, out of the sun or go to a place where you can get relief from the heat, such as air conditioned, library, theaters and other community facilities that may offer refuge during the warmest times of the day.
- Electric fans do not cool the air, but they do help evaporate perspiration, which cools your body.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings or louvers. Outdoor awnings or louvers can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80 percent.
- Check on family, friends and neighbors.
- If you believe you, or anyone you are with, is experiencing a heat-related medical emergency, promptly call 911, and if possible, move to a cooler place.
If seniors do not have air conditioning in their homes, the City welcomes seniors to visit one of the following City facilities to stay cool.
- Hart Park House Senior Center – 222 W. Sierra Madre Blvd. – Monday through Thursday, 9:00am-2:00pm & every other Friday, 9:00am-2:00pm.
- Sierra Madre City Hall – 232 W. Sierra Madre Blvd. – Monday through Thursday, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm & every other Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (626) 355-7135
- Sierra Madre Public Library – 440 W. Sierra Madre Blvd. – Monday through Wednesday, Noon to 9 pm, Thursday & Friday, Noon to 6 pm and Saturday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. (626) 355-7186
Sierra Madre Community Recreation Center – 611 E. Sierra Madre Blvd. – Monday – Thursday, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm & every other Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (626) 355-5278.