Press Release posted 4/20/13 – Families can register prospective kindergarten students and learn how to get ready for the first day of school at the Pasadena Unified School District’s (PUSD) Kindergarten Registration and Readiness Fair Saturday, April 20 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Parents and incoming students can meet PUSD kindergarten teachers, learn about summer “kinder prep” options and get up to date with required immunizations.
“We invite parents and new kindergarten students to learn about PUSD so that children enter school prepared to do their very best,” said Superintendent Jon R. Gundry. “The teachers and staff of PUSD look forward to partnering with parents in this first step of their child’s journey through K-12 education.”
At this event parents and students can:
- Register for the 2013-2014 academic year
- Get free immunizations needed for kindergarten (Medi-Cal eligible and uninsured only)
- Discover kindergarten preparation summer programs including those offered by PEF
- Learn about transitional kindergarten options for children with fall birthdays
- Get tips on helping students and parents get ready for the first day of school
- Obtain information about PUSD’s school breakfast and lunch programs
- Meet and connect with other current and incoming PUSD parents
- Receive free school supplies from PUSD’s Families in Transition
- Learn about afterschool programs offered by Pasadena LEARNs and the City of Pasadena
At 10 a.m. there will be a Ready, Set, Kindergarten! workshop on how to prepare a child for school for the first time. At 11 a.m. award winning PUSD transitional kindergarten teacher Tina Renzullo will present information about the district’s transitional kindergarten program and its benefits for children with fall birthdays.
The fair will take place in the Rose City High School Great Room at PUSD’s Central Office located at 351 S. Hudson Ave. in Pasadena. Free parking is available in the PUSD north lot on Del Mar Blvd. and south lot on Oak Knoll Ave. Admission is free. All families attending the Kindergarten Fair on April 20 will receive a readiness packet with fun activities for students to prepare for school. Free snacks will be provided by PUSD’s food services department. Spanish language translation will be available.
To be eligible for kindergarten in PUSD, a child must turn five years old by October 1, 2013. PUSD will also be offering transitional kindergarten for children turning five between Sept. 2,, 2013 and Dec. 1, 2013. Transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for younger students.
Parents may also register their child for kindergarten by visiting their neighborhood school. Visit gopusd.com/locator to determine a child’s neighborhood school. The following documents are required to register a student for kindergarten:
- The child’s birth certificate or certified copy
- The most recent immunization & vaccination record
- Two proofs of residency in the form of a recent gas, electric or water bill in the parent/guardian’s name and a copy of a deed, rental or lease agreement, mortgage receipt or property tax bill
Subject: Kindergarten Registration and Readiness Fair 2013
Date/Time: Saturday, April 20, 2013 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Ready, Set, Kindergarten workshop at 10 a.m.
Transitional Kindergarten Presentation at 11 a.m.
Location: Rose City High School Great Room
351 S. Hudson Ave., Pasadena.
Enter on Oak Knoll Ave. at Del Mar Blvd.