Posted 1/7/16 – Congratulations again to the Sierra Madre Rose Float Association for winning its 11th award in the last twelve years with “The Cat’s Away”. But already SMRFA is gearing up for the 2018 parade, and the first step is to design the float. If you have an idea for a float design, submit it to SMRFA, and who knows, it might just be your design rolling down Colorado Blvd. next year. From SMRFA’s website, www.SMRoseFloat.org:
BE A FLOAT DESIGNER WINNER . . . CONTRIBUTE A DESIGN FOR THE 2018 SIERRA MADRE ROSE FLOAT
Sierra Madre Rose Float Association 2018 Float Design Contest:
This year’s design contest will be held until Friday, February 3rd 2017. The Official Theme has not yet been announced by the upcoming 2018 Tournament President Lance Tibbet. The 2017 theme will officially be unveiled on January 20, 2017 at the Tournament’s annual installation meeting. Mr. Tibbet has hinted at the theme, when he stated that: The 2018 theme celebrates the power of kindness. By acting without reservation or expectation to help others, we not only help each other, but also inspire those around us to do the same. As members of a community, a country and a planet, we all have the power and responsibility to help one another. Even the smallest act of kindness can extend far beyond the initial act. We encourage everyone to look for ways to practice kindness every day. Change starts with a single act, act now and help change our world.
To view a video that demonstrates this theme, visit https://youtu.be/cZGghmwUcbQ
1. Designs must be received no later than Friday, February 3rd 2017, by 5PM at P.O. Box 603, Sierra Madre, CA 91025
2. Design submissions need to take into consideration the Tournament of Roses 2018 theme. (Please see above for the hint of the Tournament of Roses theme.)
3. Designers should consider the appropriate use of float riders, Sierra Madre Rose Princesses/Escorts (2-4) and animation. Float designs should represent a float no longer than 55 feet and 18 feet wide.
4. The design contest is open to all ages (need not be a Sierra Madre resident nor a Sierra Madre Rose Float Association member). Designs developed by Groups, Art Classes or other organizations are gladly received. Designers are encouraged also to submit more than one design.
5. Please provide a title to the float design. Submission should include a written description (no more than 100 words) of the concept and possible animations.
6. While only a very simple sketch is required to illustrate the concept, more detail can help in the selection process. For complete Design Rules and Submission Forms, please click here.